Posted: Nov 16, 2002 @ 07:11:37 by John Wood
5542 was built in 1928 for Â£3602, as part of Lot 251, also preserved from this Lot is elder brother 5541, now based on the Forest of Dean. Together with 5541 it was first allocated to Gloucester entering traffic on 2/8/28, then over next 33 years was based at Bristol, Taunton, Newton Abbott, It was last based at Taunton on 21/8/57, when it was transferred to Westbury, where it spent its remaining years before being finally withdrawn from Westbury on 8 /12/61 after having run 987, 429 miles. It was sold to Woodhams in February 1962. Throughout the greater part of its life it was based at Taunton. It was first based at Taunton in 1934 and was a regular performer on the Minehead line. It carried 6 boilers in its life. The last boiler was built in 1943 and had been used on 4558, 5551, 5501 before fitting to 5542 in March 1958, at the locomotives last Heavy General.
After 14 years in Barry, together with 4561 and 5521 it was sold to the West Somerset Railway Association in 1976. In 1979, a cash strapped West Somerset Railway forced the sale of 5542 and 5521. Members of the Dean Forest Railway bought 5521 and a Taunton based group formed by John Wood, Ray Lee and a number of others started the 5542 Fund to keep it for use on the West Somerset Railway.
Keep updated with all the latest 5542 news @ http://hometown.aol.co.uk/chairman5542ltd/index.html
Posted: Nov 16, 2002 @ 05:11:14 by Steve Huddy
5542 is a resident loco, her restoration has just been completed after 23 years, she belongs to 5542 Ltd. She belong to the ex GWR 4575 Class of 2-6-2T prairie tanks - the small prairies - which were introduced in 1927.
Weight: 61 tonsDriving wheel diameter: 4' 7 1/2"
Boiler pressure: 200 lb/sq.in.
Tractive effort: 21,250 lb
Cylinders: (Outside) 17"x 24"
Valve gear: Stephenson