Posted: Dec 16, 2007 @ 16:12:23 by Steve Frost
At one time Tiverton had quite an extensive railway station, but not on the Great Western's main line to Exeter. Instead it was served by a branch from Tiverton Junction, and the local service, known as 'The Tivvy Bumper' was often worked by locos of this type, hence the location of this survivor in the museum. Good to see its photo on the site.
Posted: Dec 16, 2007 @ 11:12:00 by Andrew Wilson
Collet 0-4-2T 1442 was built at Swindon in April 1935. Although this class was introduced in 1932, the 75 locomotives replaced worn-out engines of an almost identical design dating back as far as 1868, with only minor improvements. They were used on light branch trains all over the Great Western system and were motor fitted for working “push-pull” trains. Three other members of the class have been preserved but No.1442, along with her sister 1450, was the last to remain in service. Both were withdrawn by British Railways in May 1965.