Dundee Gasworks 0-4-2 No. 'Bonny Dundee'
Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire, UK
Location: Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway
Status: Operational
Related Notes
Photo Copyright © Robin R Beck
Here are the notes for Dundee Gasworks No. 'Bonny Dundee', a 0-4-2 located in Cleethorpes, Lincolnshire. If you have additional information about this locomotive, and would like to share it, click the Add Note button.

Posted: Apr 28, 2021 @ 06:04:16 by Russell Newman
The overhaul on rebuilt former Dundee Gasworks Kerr Stuart & Co built 0-4-2 "Bonny Dundee" has now been completed and the locomotive has returned to the Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway at Cleethorpes in Lincolnshire where it has now returned to service there as it is on loan term loan to them from the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway.
Posted: Jun 1, 2019 @ 12:06:33 by Steve Frost
Built for Dundee gasworks in 1901 as a two foot gauge 0-4-0 well tank design. The loco worked there until 1959 when it moved to Caledon shipbuilding, still in Dundee. It was preserved by the late Ian Fraser, who relocated it to the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway in 1976. There it was substantially rebuilt as a 15 inch gauge 0-4-2 side tank loco. It was rebuilt again in 1996 producing the tender loco of today.

The album photos show the two rebuilt forms of the loco, but we would like a photo of it on original condition if anyone can help.


Posted: Jul 18, 2018 @ 09:07:31 by Russell Newman
The current location of rebuilt former Dundee Gasworks Kerr Stuart & Co built 0-4-2 "Bonny Dundee" is the Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway in Lincolnshire. Where it has been for a few years now undergoing overhaul for use there.
Posted: Apr 5, 2017 @ 13:04:19 by Russell Newman
"Bonney Dundee" is at the Cleethorpes Coast Light Railway in Lincolnshire where it is on long term loan to them. The locomotive is undergoing a overhaul and rebuild there for use there and could be back in steam later this year.
Posted: May 25, 2005 @ 16:05:01 by

Used in summer high season. Built for Dundee Gas Works and worked there for 59 years as 2ft gauge loco. Arrived at railway in 1976, and was regauged and running by 1982. In 1996 new valve gear and a new tender were added