Posted: Sep 4, 2005 @ 15:09:55 by peter m. preston
March of 1899 No.20 is built for Florence & Cripple Creek Railroad named "Portland" At Cripple Creek , Colorado.
January 14, 1916 W.D. Lee purchased three F&CC ten wheelers for the RGS; these will become the second No. 20, No. 22, and No. 25. The No. 20 was a longtime favorite, starring in Ticket To Tomahawk (filmed on the D&RG's Silverton branch).
The first No. 20 is dismantled. Parts (headlight, ect.) were sent to Alamosa for installation on the newwly purchased F&CC engines. The same with the first No.22,and 25. The tender of the first No. 25 was given to No. 20 around Febuary 22, 1916.
March 09, 1916 No. 20 arrived in Durango, after being overhauled in Alamosa.
August 31, 1943 No. 20 and No. 40 are wrecked at cima.the No. 40 is scrapped.
1940 No. 20 rebuilt is completed, using No. 25's cab and No.22's stack. The Sunset herald was applied to the tender during tis rebuild.
1946 No.20 had a thin firebox and was routinely hidden from the ICC inspectors by just happen to be at the far side of the line when the Inspectors arrived. The side-by-side play on the drivers were also quite extreme, the center drivers were off thr rail on 24-deg curves at the Colorado RR Museum.
August 8, 1949 No. 20 begins her role in Ticket to Tomahawk as Emma Sweeny,the Tomahawk and Western No. 1. the engine sported a large oil headlight with antlers, diamond stack, and link and pin couplers Even the builder's plates had been changed. The tender was also repainted, and now wore a picture of a sailing ship.
September 1949 No.74 breaks an engine spring, and No. 20 is pressed into service on the fall stock rush still wearing her movie paint.
November of 1949 No.20, usually working out of Durango,is sent to Ridgeway, apparently for a new paint job.
1952 No. 20 sold to the Rocky Mountain Railroad Club. Currently on display at the Colorado Railroad Musuem.