Posted: May 29, 2009 @ 06:05:42 by Andrew Wilson
1. Peckett 1963, Hilda
18 tons; 2(10x15); 150 lb sq in; 2’9”, 6,180 lb
This locomotive was built by Peckett and Sons at their works in Bristol, to construction number 1963 in 1938. Her first owner was the Cafferta & Co. Plaster Works, which became part of British Gypsum for whom she worked until 1971. She was moved to the Main Line Steam Trust, Loughborough for preservation in 1973. She is a member of the popular M5 class of standard gauge, 0-4-0 industrial saddle tanks. Heating surface of 314 square feet, bunker capacity for 500cwt of coal and a wheel-base of 5’.
At present she is in unserviceable condition in a siding at Bere Ferrers station, Devon where she has been since 1995: part of the “Tamar Belle” holiday accommodation and railway heritage centre. The boiler has been removed for repair; a new firebox is being fabricated and the chimney appears to be from a domestic building!