Albion Mines Railway 0-6-0 No. 'Samson'
Stellarton, NS, Canada
Location: Museum of Industry
Status: Display
Related Notes
Photo Copyright © Kelly Beamsley (Google)
Here are the notes for Albion Mines Railway No. 'Samson', a 0-6-0 located in Stellarton, NS. If you have additional information about this locomotive, and would like to share it, click the Add Note button.

Posted: Jun 16, 2005 @ 08:06:47 by Ian
The "Samson" is no longer located in this display area. It was moved to the Museum of Industry in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. http://museum.gov.ns.ca/moi/welcome.html From the museum description: "In the Age of Steam gallery, meet Samson, Canada’s oldest surviving steam locomotive. Built in 1838 by Timothy Hackworth at his Soho Works in Durham, England, Samson represents an early stage in the design of the steam locomotive. This example of the technology of the Industrial Revolution was commissioned for Nova Scotia’s coal industry, and worked for many years both on and near what is now the museum site. In 1893 it was displayed at the Chicago World’s Fair as an antique, and then came into the possession of the Baltimore & Ohio Railway until its return to Nova Scotia in 1928."
Posted: Jul 1, 2004 @ 13:07:24 by Steve Frost

This is a typical Hackworth product. Timothy Hackworth was an engineer with the unenviable task of keeping the Stockton and Darlington Railway's fleet of locomotives going in the late 1820's. These included Stephenson's early designs like 'Locomotion' (see the UK and browse to County Durham, the Darlington Railway Museum). Typical problems were broken wheels and boiler problems, including explosions!

The wheels used in those days were the 'plug' design you can see here, and on other survivors from that era. There was a cast wheel centre and an outer, annular casting which was easier to replace when the cast iron failed. The two were held together with oak keys. To improve the loco's traction, Hackworth moved from 0-4-0 to 0-6-0, and to improve the boiler efficiency, he went for a return flue arrangement. The early Stephenson designs like 'Locomotion' had a simple large diameter single flue tube in the boiler. Hackworth doubled the length by turning the flue back in a U shape to increase the heating area. This meant that the loco was fired form the chimney end, and had two tenders - one for the coal at the chimney end, and another for the water at the opposite end, where the cylinders are located, for the water. On this loco, the cylinders are vertical, the same arrangement as on his 1829 loco 'Sans Pareil' which took part in the Rainhill trials of that year and was beaten by Stephenson's 'Rocket'. Others, like his classic 'Royal George' for the Stockton and Darlington, had the cylinders inclined beside the boiler, driving onto the leading coupled wheels at the opposite end (See 'Derwent' at Darlington Museum - by a different builder, but the same arrangement)

Similar locos can still be seen at Darlington and Shildon, both in Co Durham, UK.