Page 1 of 1

Interesting Bug

Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:47 pm
by Doug Bailey
I just spent about 4 hours trying to chase down a bug in the website. The site worked fine in Firefox but failed (sometimes) rather dramatically in the Chrome web browser. When this happens, it is often a problem in a difference in the way in which one browser rendered html tags versus the other. It was usually possible to figure out why this was happening and come up with some sort of fix, where you identified the browser and wrote code that essentially said, "Do it this way if Firefox and that way if Chrome".

This turned out to be an actual flaw in Chrome, without a workaround. So it has been reported and the site slightly modified. This problem now ONLY occurs in the administrative interface, so it will not affect site visitors. And of course, I've switched back to Firefox.

Fun afternoon.