Notes Listing

You are viewing Note 6733 through 6762 of 11007

SNCF 2-10-0 No. 150P 13Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-08 13:29:45.547
A de Caso design and, inevitably, a four cylinder compound. The Loco shows many of the features of other French locos of the period with feedwater heaters, twin regulators, valves to admid full pressure steam to the LP cylinders. Capable of huge haulage feats, the 'boost' feature of being able to put full boiler pressure into the LP side would have been useful. Stoker fed fuel.

SNCF(NORD) 2-8-0 No. 140A 259Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-08 13:13:30.2
This Nord 2-8-0 was cosmetically restored for a section of the museum about railways and war. It is displayed derailed and leaning over on its left hand side against a bank of earth as if blown up by allied or partisan action. In its working life it was a 4 cylinder compound, outside HP cylinders, inside LP cylinders and was at Bethune depot. As a freight loco the cabside showed a 40kph speed. An interesting end to its career.

Robert Heath & Sons 0-4-0ST No. 6Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-07 13:07:27.687
The sparse details given suggest this could be (might as well be) No6, built by Robert Heath and Sons at Biddulph Iron Works in 1886. The story goes that they bought an 0-4-0ST from Falcon in Loughborough (Brush Electrical Machines today) and copied it. There were several of this type built by them for use in their own iron works, but No 6 is the sole survivor. It was preserved at a mining museum in Stoke on Trent but when that closed its future in north Staffordshire was uncertain. It was purchased by local enthusiasts so that it could remain in its home area. Still steaming, although the boiler, at any rate, dates from the 1950's.

Craig Mountain Lumber Co. Heisler - 2 truck No. 3Posted by: Fred on 2006-12-06 20:47:28.56
The locomotive is in operational condition. It is stored at the museum, but not owned by them.

Teesside Bridge & Engineering 4wVBGT No. 5 'Frank Galbraith'Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-06 16:21:30.873
Despite appearances, this is a steam loco. Sentinel built high pressure steam lorries with underslung engines, chain drive and vertical flash boilers. For low speed shunting work the various bits from the road lorry could be adapted to make a small locomotive with the ability to raise steam rapidly and to economically shunt quite substantial loads considering their diminutive size. Under the 'hood' (If that's the right term) at the front is the engine, mounted vertically. It looks straight out of the steam lorry, but upturned through 90 degrees. This drives a primary shaft that lies across the loco, and is connected to the leading wheels by a hefty duplex chain drive. The rear wheels are driven from the front wheels by another chain on the opposite side of the loco. The boiler lies further back by the front of the cab. These and others of varying appearance could be found on industrial sites throughout the UK, and some were owned by the main line companies as well. This one belonged to the Teesside Bridge and Engineering Company.

SNCF 2-8-2 No. 141R 1187Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-06 14:34:39.0
At the end of World War 2, France's railways were showing the effects of the conflict. The locomotive fleet had suffered badly as a result of allied air attacks as well as sabotage by French partisans. In addition some locos had been moved away by the occupiers to other occupied countries. What was left was, inevitably, in run down condition. There were USATC S160s, British Army Riddles 2-10-0 and 2-8-0s, but what was needed was something designed for use on the French system to meet French needs. The only place that could meet the need was the USA and Baldwin, Lima and ALCO supplied these Mikados very quickly. They represent American practice and so differed in concept from the complex 4 cylinder compounds that had become commonplace on pre-war railways in France. They were 2 cylinder simples with outside cylinders and valve gear. In all 1340 were built, although 17 never made it to France, being lost at sea. Some 140 of later batches were built in Canada by Montreal Locomotive Co and Canadian Locomotive Co. In detail they looked very French with oblong buffers and typical SNCF smokebox door, smoke deflectors and cab very much in French style. Early deliveries, starting in 1945, had spoked drivers whilst the later engines had Boxpok drivers, as on this example in the museum. In operation they proved equal to the job, whatever it was - anything from the 'Fleche d'Or' express from Calais to Paris or long freights down to the Spanish border. My personal memory is of freights pounding along in Languedoc towards the end of their lives, and withdrawn examples outside the depot at Miramas.

Great Western Ry 2-8-0 No. 51Posted by: carl hudson on 2006-12-06 09:07:52.903
As of august 25,2006 the engine was under going some repairs of the air pump. lt was in a shop in Hudson, Colorado Still owned by John Birmingham. The air pump was in a shop in Cripple Creek Colorado

SNCF 4-6-4.4Cyl No. 232U 1Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-05 14:12:20.03
What a story this impressive locomotive has had. ordered by the Nord in the late 1930's but not delivered until 1940 it was built by Socitete Alsacienne as 232 R 4 with a 3 cylinder simple layout but was not finished when France was invaded by Nazi Germany. The plan at that time was to reconstruct it as a turbine loco. Now turbines have not had a great story of success worldwide, rightly or wrongly, and this never came to fruition. In 1945 de Casco, the Chief Engineer, redesigned it as a de Glehn compound with 4 cylinders and it finally entered service in 1949.

Cie Avignon Marseille 2-2-2 No. 6 'L'Aigle'Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-05 13:59:28.123
A typical Stephenson design of that era. Really for a while this was almost a standard layout for the locomotive in Europe. Named 'L'Aigle' (The Eagle), it represents the long boiler approach that Stephensons favoured. The loco was withdrawn as long ago as 1865 but was used as a stationary boiler until 1913 when its historic value was appreciated and it was restored for the first time. After a life of exhibition appearances it was again restored in 1968.

NORD 4-6-4.4Cyl No. 3.1192Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-05 13:43:49.513
Designed by Gaston du Bousquet, it is a four cylinder compound on the de Glehn system. De Glehn and du Bousquet worked closely together on compounding. The inside Low Pressure cylinders were not in line, but staggered, which helped the rigidity of the chassis. Only two were ever built, du Bousquet's death seemingly preventing further development. They were know as 'The orphans' as a result. In 1937, Nord sectioned the loco to show the internal workings of the machine which ensured its survival. SNCF presented it to the National Railway Museum at Mulhouse in 1971.

North Eastern Railway 0-6-0 No. 2392 65894Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-05 13:16:19.733
This loco is now subject to an appeal for funds for its overhaul to return it to running order. See for details.

Southern Railway 4-4-0 No. 925 'Cheltenham'Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-05 12:53:08.297
One of the three preserved Southern Railway 'Schools' class - all named after Public Schools. They were good performers with three cylinders and a boiler that was a good steam raiser. 'Cheltenham' is in the original form with a small single chimney - some were modified with Lemaitre multi jet exhausts.

It was displayed for a time at Dinting Steam Centre, near Glossop. When that steam centre closed it was moved to the National Railway Museum where it was displayed in the South Hall exhibition coupled to a Wagon-Lits coach. After a period in the museum's Great Hall the loco moved to Eastleigh Works for overhaul to operational condition.

Now repainted in the Southern Railway's malachite green livery, the loco returned to the National Railway Museum for the 2012 Railfest, where it is pictured in steam in the current primary photo.

Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 0-4-0ST No. 'Wren'Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-05 05:58:25.593
The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway had its works at Horwich, near Manchester and they used a fleet of narrow gauge locos like 'Wren' on their internal rail system. They went outside the works for this one - it was built by Beyer Peacock, also in Manchester. It features a circular firebox more like a steam boat's arangement. Compare it with 'Pet' from the LNWR in the same museum.

London & North Western Railway 0-4-0ST No. 'Pet'Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-05 05:54:34.06
The London and North Western Railway established its works at Crewe, which became an important railway junction. Crewe built, over the years, an amazing variety of locomotives from the early LNWR locos like 'Columbine' in the Science Museum, London, through Webb's notorious compounds to LMS and, later, BR steam and diesel locomotives, not forgetting the class 91 electrics that whisk the East Coast expresses effortlessly past the National Railway Museum. This is perhaps the most unusual of Crewe's products. Most major engineering works had an internal rail system and Crewe was no exception. They built a fleet of these tiny locos to carry components around the workshops and even onto Crewe passenger station which was reached by an impossible looking 'Spider Bridge' which carried these tiny locos and their equally small trains across the running lines. Its interesting to compare this with 'Wren' in the same museum, from the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway's Horwich works.

Gulf, Mobile & Northern 4-6-2 No. 425Posted by: E.L McFadden on 2006-12-04 23:22:30.107
Recent update: Locomotive 425 will once again be restored to operating service. The annoucement came in Mid-Novemember, and the employees of the Reading and Northern Railroad have estimated a 1 year overhaul to get her to operating status with a projected date of October 2007. Stay tuned for further updates. E

SNCF(PO) 4-6-2 No. 231A-546(4546)Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-03 17:17:50.25
This is an example of the first pacific design to run on Europe's railways. Oddly enough, the survivor of the 100 built was not by a French constructor, but by ALCO - Schenectady, in the US (A batch of 30 being supplied by them). The 4500 class were 4 cylinder compounds on the de Glehn system - divided drive with the high pressure cylinders on the outside and the low pressure cylinders on the inside. An unusual feature was the trapezoidal firebox. The preserved example is in the grey livery of the Paris - Orleans company and bears its original number. Many of the similar 3500 class (they had smaller driving wheels) were rebuilt to the designs of Andre Chapelon with a transformation of their performance. The Cite du Train has an example of this rebuild too - SNCF No 231E22.

NORD 4-4-2.4Cyl No. 2.670Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-02 11:29:59.343
Alfred de Glehn was born in England but worked as the Director of Construction at Societe Alsacienne, where this highly influential locomotive was built. The system of compounding that this loco embodied was to be widely used in France as well as on the railways of other European countries. The high pressure cylinders were outside driving the rear coupled axle and were set back to do this. Meanwhile, the low pressure cylinders were mounted inside, well forward, and drove the leading coupled axle. This divided drive was to be widely used in three and four cylinder locos. Driving one was not simple. There were two regulators, two sets of reversing gear and an intercepting valve that could send live steam to the LP side for starting or, in another mode, as a boost for a particular effort, or it could isolate either the HP or the LP cylinders in an emergency (a 'get you home' measure) The performance, for 1910, was in a class of its own. They were not only powerful, but also efficient with commendably low coal consumption. They were noticed outside the borders of France, too and some were sold to Egypt, Prussia, the UK and even one to the Pennsylvania in the USA. The Great Western in England bought three of them to compare them with simple expansion locos and they were successful, but the GWR didn't adopt the compounding - they went for superheated simples instead. However, the influence of the de Glehn compounds lived on in GWR express designs built up to the 1950's and in use until the 1960's because the 'Stars', 'Castles' and 'Kings' were all 4 cylinder, divided drive locos, just like the de Glehn compound. Rightly, the loco is displayed at the 'Cite du Train' in Mulhouse near where it was built. It carries the chocolate brown livery of the Nord company. Oh yes, the address of the Cite du Train is 2, Rue Alfred de Glehn. How appropriate.

PLM 4-4-0.4Cyl No. 220A 85(C145)Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-01 18:13:51.843
The route of the PLM lay down the valley of the River Rhone which is noted for its bitterly cold and very strong wind, the Mistral. This fact led to an early effort at streamlining, not for show, but for the practical purose of lowering wind reistance. A pointed casing was fitted over the smokebox and between the chimney and dome, giving the locos the name 'Coupe vent' as they cut the wind. Mechanically they were 4 cylinder compounds with the low pressure cylinders outside and the high pressure cylinders inside the frames.

SNCF(PO) 2-4-2 No. 121A 340Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-01 18:02:35.14
The British influence was still present in French designs at this date,as the loco features Gooch valve gear and was built in the UK. These successful and long lived locos inspired close copies that ran on the PLM and Austro Hungarian State Railways.

Santa Maria Valley RR 2-8-2 No. 21Posted by: Shannon Wilson on 2006-12-01 15:53:14.343
Hi, In short: Number 21 was the last steam locomotive to run on the SMVRR. I grew up in Santa Maria and had a facination with the SMVRR. I recieved a copy of "Final run of old 21" from the railroad's office secretary in 1980. The book was published by the SMVRR in 1962 to commemorate the last steam operation on the Santa Maria Valley Railroad, and was not published for general distribution. On February 24, 1962, headed by #21 and using 5 borrowed coaches from the Southern Pacific, this VIP only train ran from Guadalupe, CA to the downtown station in Santa Maria, located next to the main yard and engine house. One of the honored guests was Walt Disney and his wife, who were good friends of Capt. Allan Hancock, the owner of the SMVRR at the time. There are pictures of Mr. Disney in the cab of #21 signing autographs in this booklet. After the run, #21 was stored at the yard adjoining the city recreation center (the down town yard).

Santa Maria Valley RR 2-6-2 No. 205Posted by: Shannon Wilson on 2006-12-01 15:27:36.263
I grew up in Santa Maria and when little had the fun of playing on #205 (The first steam locomotive I had ever seen.) when she was located on display in front of the skating-rink at the Santa Maria Fairgrounds in the early 1970's. At that time she had already slipped off her display rails and had been scavanged of parts by vandals. There was an article in the Santa Maria Times, newspaper which gave details of the proposed transfer of the locomotive to the Willamina and Grand Round Railroad (GRR Co.) Company of Willamina, Oregon, and Mr. George Lavacot, Master Mechanic for the GRR Co. It may be possible to obtain a copy of the article from the Santa Maria Times, Santa Maria, CA. It is the reverse page of: Page 2 - Thursday, July 15, 1982, Santa Maria, Calif., Times. and continued on page 6. There are two photos of her while still on display at the fairgrounds included in the article.

Pennsylvania RR 4-6-2 No. 1361Posted by: Michael York on 2006-12-01 15:13:02.593
I just wanted to add a note since I saw a few notes that were quite a bit off. There are 2 K-4s left, and the class was named the official locomotive of the state as a compromise to allow state funding for both engines (they are rivals of sorts). Also, the K-4s were not large engines at all. The two largest surving Pensy engines are the I-1 (2-10-0) in western New York State and the M-1 (4-8-2) in Strassbourg. Larger and more powerful than either of these were the J-1 class, all of which were scrapped (copies of C&O designed 2-10-4s that could out pull a challenger). Other PRR engines that were bigger than the K-4s: T-1s, S-1, Q-1, Q-2, S-2, and the surving mikado at Strasburg. Both K-4s are classic engines.

EST 4-2-0 No. 80Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-01 05:10:34.873
Thomas Russell Crampton worked under Daniel Gooch on the Great Western Railway in England and in 1842 patented a design for a high speed express loco. He was concerned to have a low centre of gravity, so the design featured a low slung boiler. However, large driving wheels were the order of the day in the 1840's, and the problem was one of locating the driving axle whilst keeping an adequate boiler mounted low down. He solved this by placing the driving axle behind the firebox and using outside cylinders set well back from the smokebox. To control the loco on the track the leading four wheels were rigid in the chassis, producing the 4-2-0 wheel arrangement. It was in Europe, and France in particular, that the Crampton was most used. It never took off in the UK. Train travel was so associated with the design that people spoke of 'Prendre le Crampton' when catching a train. They were indeed speedy - one Crampton holding the world speed record in 1890 at 144 km/h. Access was good with outside machinery, but as train weights increased, the disadvantage of the single driver became more and more apparent. The loco has steamed infrequently and may still be in working order.

Paris-Rouen 2-2-2 No. 33 'St. Pierre'Posted by: Steve Frost on 2006-12-01 04:54:35.623
In the early days of railways locomotives were sourced from the UK as the pioneer of such traction. (How things have changed - the UK now imports locos and rolling stock)This early French loco was built to British designs based on the 'Crewe Type' 2-2-2. This followed the basic Stephenson layout with cylinders and smokebox in line with the leading wheels, driving wheels in the centre, and the firebox between the drivers and the trailing wheels, which controlled the oscillation inherent in earlier four wheeled locos. Where it departed from the standard Stephenson design is in having outside cylinders. A UK contemporary is the LNWR 'Columbine' at York. The choice of outside cylinders was a response to the breakages of crank axles before metallurgy had advanced sufficiently to provide steels of the necessary durability. Later in its life, by now an Etat loco numbered 12-010, it was converted to a tank loc, but after some years out of use was restored in 1946 and returned to the UK for the Festival of Britain in 1951, being steamed at Bricklayers Arms depot in London. It carries the name 'Saint Pierre'.

Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis RR 4-8-4 No. 576Posted by: Andrew Durden on 2006-11-30 09:55:47.81

Bill Purdie of the Southern Railway Steam Department inspected this locomotive in the 1970's and the Southern tried to acquire it.  TVRM also tried to aquire the locomotive around the same time.  Apparently the competition over the locomotive gave the City Fathers of Nashville the idea that they had a hot commodity and they either raised the asking price to a great degree or decided that the engine should remain in the park.  Shame, she would probably be preserved in a "real" museum today had she gotten out in the 70's.

West Side Flume & Lumber Co. Heisler - 2 truck No. 3Posted by: Andrew Durden on 2006-11-30 09:43:43.39
When I visited RRBT in November 2006 the Heisler had just been fired up a few weeks before.  Apparently a few minor kinks were being worked out.  And yes, she was still an oil burner. 

Dinorwic Slate Quarries 0-4-0ST No. 3 'Irish Mail'Posted by: A L Jones on 2006-11-27 18:03:46.983

Driver Diameter: 1 ft 8in

Empty Weight: 6 tons

Tractive Effort:2579lbs

Boiler Pressure: 150 psi

Cylinders: 7 in x 10in

Fuel: Coal

Buffalo Creek & Gauley 2-8-0 No. 14Posted by: MP on 2006-11-26 19:43:33.093
Cosmetic restoration to begin in Spring of 2007. Boiler jacket re-installed, etc...

Bessemer & Lake Erie RR 2-10-4 No. 643Posted by: Mike on 2006-11-24 17:12:05.763



Chesapeake & Ohio RR 2-8-4 No. 2707Posted by: J.D. Marzec on 2006-11-24 14:32:33.2
2707 has parts being repainted and there is suspission that she might be traided or sold.
This site and its content Copyright © 2016, by Douglas C. Bailey
Images and Video Clips © by the photographer/videographer indicated. Used by permission.